Important application information for the Bachelor of Contemporary Music
Students can apply for the Bachelor of Contemporary Music either through the NSW University Admissions Centre (UAC) or the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) or they may apply directly to the University. If you are an Early Offer applicant, you will apply directly to the University.
In addition to applying via UAC or QTAC (or online), applicants for the Bachelor of Contemporary Music need to attend an interview and submit a video audition or link to your online portfolio based on your specialist area.
- Interviews for the 2023 commencing students will be held for
- Lismore campus applicants on
- 7 November
- 8 November
- 14 November
- and for Coomera campus applicants on 8-9 December
- Lismore campus applicants on
- Further interview rounds will be held as follows:
- Lismore: 1 February and 2 February 2023
- Coomera: 1 February, 2 February 2023
Candidates will be selected on the basis of:
- The quality of their performance or songwriting/composition or sound production skills
- Their potential for development
- Their level of commitment
- Their communication skills.
You can apply for one or more of the following specialist areas:
- Performance (instruments: guitar, vocals, drums, bass, keyboards/piano, saxophone or other instrument considered on a case by case basis).
Requirements for Performance
Applications will be accepted on the following instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass, keyboards/piano and drums and saxophone. Other instruments will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the Course Coordinator Barry Hill if you wish to audition on another instrument.
For the video audition, you will need to perform two or three pieces with a backing track or band or solo (up to 10 minutes in length total), in contrasting styles. In the interview, you will need to have your instrument on hand as you may be asked to play additional materials (e.g., chords, scales, exercises) to simply illustrate your current skill and knowledge. In the interview you will also be asked questions related to your musical background and achievements to date and your career aspirations.
Requirements for Songwriting/Composition and Sound Production
You are required to present a link to a portfolio of two or three tracks (up to 10 minutes in length total) that represent your level of achievement as a songwriter/composer or producer/engineer to date. Note the portfolio may include music created for film or other media. During the interview you will be asked to discuss the works in your portfolio submission as well as your musical background, achievements to date and your career aspirations.
The audition/interview process involves 2 steps:
- Book and online video interview (via Zoom – all applicants) for your specialist area. Click here to book.
- Submit a video audition (performance applicants) or link to an online portfolio (songwriting/composition and production applicants)
If you wish to apply for more than one specialist area (e.g., songwriting and guitar) you will need to book separate interviews and submit a video audition/portfolio for each area.
For Performance applicants:
- Videos should be an mp4 file, maximum 10 minutes in length
- Ensure the sound and image quality are suitable so your performance can be clearly seen and heard. A mobile phone video recording should be adequate.
- You can perform solo or with a backing track or with a live band/accompanist
- Ensure you name your video file like this: SPECIALISTAREA_LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME.mp4, for example: GUITAR_HILL_MATT.mp4
For Songwriting/Composition or Production applicants:
- Create a word document with the links to your portfolio and click here to upload. For example a link to a personal website, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, YouTube etc.
Notification of Audition/Interview Results:
Applicants will be notified about the result of their audition/interview within 3 weeks of their audition.
Applicants who have not been contacted in this time should call the University on 1800 626 481.
Contact the Future Students team online or by phone.
T: 1800 626 481