Enrol in your units (subjects)
How to enrol video – transcript
This video is a guide to assist you with enrolling in to units at Southern Cross University.
Before you can enrol into units please note that you must have first:
If you are not sure which units to enrol in, you can refer to the 'How to find your Course Progression' video or you can contact us, the Client Services team for more information.
How to enrol into unit/s
- Open and log in to My Enrolment using your student ID and password.
- Navigate to the Study Plans tab. Click ‘Select’ on the course that has an ‘Admitted’ Status. The Admitted status indicates that you have accepted your offer and have been admitted into your course. If you have previously applied or passed a course with Southern Cross University, this will be displayed here.
Your Study Plan page shows you a list of your course units including core units and the elective and major options for you to choose if required as part of your course structure.
A helpful function on your study plans page is this search bar at the top, you can search for units that are available by selecting the year, session and campus location you wish to enrol.
The units that are available to enrol in will be highlighted in blue, as you can see on this study plan. This is the same if you were to come to your Study Plan and scroll down to find the units from your Course Progression without using the search function at the top.
- Choose the location and session/study period you wish to study in by using the drop-down options under the unit/s that you are enrolling in.
- Tick the checkbox on the right-hand side of the screen, next to the unit or units you are selecting.
- Click ‘Enrol’ at the bottom of the screen.
The next page is your potential enrolment list, here you check that you have chosen the right units, session and location before clicking confirm enrolment or you can go back and make changes.
Your enrolment confirmation is indicated by the green tick next to the units and the Success notification in green at the top. You can withdraw, reselect or cancel your unit enrolment from the bottom options.
To confirm your units are enrolled, select ‘Current enrolment’ from the left-hand side menu bar. This page will display any other units that you have already enrolled into and the Census date for each unit. You can email yourself a copy of your enrolment by choosing ‘Email my Enrolment Advice’ at the bottom. This will be sent to your student email address and outlines the units you are enrolled into.
How to add an Elective unit to your study plan
- From the Study Plans tab in your My Enrolment you can view the Elective units available for your course by navigating to the Elective line in your study plan which is easily identified by the letter E.
- Tick the ‘Choose’ box at the far right hand side to display the Elective units.
- Using the drop-down bar select ‘Electives’ and then click Search
- Decide on an Elective unit you would like to add to your enrolment. Choose ‘Add to Study Planner’.
- Click ‘Save Changes on Study Planner’ at the bottom of the screen or you can use the other options ‘Choose a different Study Plan’ or ‘Discard changes and return to Study Plan’.
- Once you have clicked ‘Save Changes on Study Planner’ the Elective will now appear on your study plan and you can return to your Study Plan and enrol into available units as previously instructed.
What happens after enrolment?
- After you enrol in units your Southern Cross University access accounts will be created overnight.
- Your Southern Cross University email account is one of the systems that are set up and it will be used for all correspondence. You will need to check this regularly.
- You can find your username and student email in the MySCU Details tab in My Enrolment. Your username will allow you to log in to all Southern Cross University systems.
- You will be able to register into your classes once Class Registration opens for the upcoming session. You will be notified by email when this happens.
- You can log in to your Blackboard learning site a few weeks prior to the classes starting to find more unit information and prepare for classes.
- It is recommended that you become familiar with the Key Dates for the current year.
- For more information go to Current Students
This Video is prepared by Client Services within Student Administration Services at Southern Cross University. If you require any assistance after watching this video, please feel free to contact us.
All students commencing a course in or after 2022 in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) must maintain a successful completion rate of 50% or above.
A low completion rate is failing more than 50% of the units you have attempted. Your completion rate is assessed calculated after completing 8 units in a Bachelor course or higher or 4 units in a course lower than a Bachelor, such as a Diploma, Associate Degree, Undergraduate Certificate or Enabling course.
Download a PDF guide on How to Enrol into Units
How do I know what units I need to enrol into?
To find which units you should be enrolling into for each teaching period please check your course progression.Consult your Course Progression
How to add a Major/Minor or Specialisation to your Study Plan – Transcript
This video is a guide to assist you with adding a Major/ Minor or Specialisation to your Study Plan at Southern Cross University.
Major/Minors are areas of in-depth study or specialisation within a course, consisting of a sequence of units in a single discipline.
Before watching this video, it is helpful to first watch the ‘How to find your Course Progression’ video. If you are unsure if you are required to choose a Major/ Minor or Specialisation for your course, please contact us, the Client Services team for more information.
How to select your Major/Minor or Specialisation to expand your Study Plan
- Start by Logging into your My Enrolment page, navigate to the Study Plans tab, and click ‘Select’ next to the course that has the admitted status.
- To display the course options, click the ‘Choose’ button on the right-hand side.
- To add an option to your Study Plan, click ‘Add to Study Planner’.
- From the next page you can choose to Remove the option from your Study Planner by clicking ‘Remove from Study Planner’ otherwise click, ‘Save Changes on Study Planner’.
As you can see here, this Bachelor of Arts student will need to choose their course option first. You can use the link at the top of your Study Plan to navigate to the Course Requirements tab for your course and find out more information about your course options.
As you will see when you return to your Study Plan, you can expand the course option and now you will need to choose the major option.
- Click 'Choose' from the right-hand side. Listed will be the Major options available for your course. You can refer back to the Course Structure page to view the Major options.
- To add the Major click, ‘Add to Study Planner’ from the right-hand side. You will then have the option to ‘Remove from Study Planner’ if you wish or click, ‘Save Changes on Study Planner’.
- Once your Study Plan page loads you can then go ahead and enrol into units that are available (highlighted in blue), if part of your Course Progression.
How to add a Major or Minor to your Study Plan when your Study Plan is already expanded
- Start in the Study Plans tab of your My Enrolment page.
- You can view the Major study areas available to you by navigating to the Major line in your Study Plan.
- Click ‘Choose’ on the far-right-hand side to display the major study areas available. The next page will display a list of the Majors available for your course.
- Once you know which major you are adding to your course click ‘Add to Study Planner’ from the right-hand side.
- From this page you can see a list of units that are included in the major you have selected as well as the other Major options. If you are not sure if this Major is the right selection you can click ‘Remove from Study Planner’ or your can ‘Discard changes and return to Study Plan’, ‘Choose a different Study Plan’ or ‘Save Changes on Study Planner’ from the options at the bottom.
- Once you have clicked ‘Save Changes on Study Planner’ this will add the Major to your Study Plan and automatically take you back to your Study Plan page.
Once you return back to your Study Plans page you can see your Major on your Study Plan, you can expand the major to view the units on your Study Plan by clicking the (+) plus sign. If the units were available to enrol into they would also be highlighted in blue. You can now go ahead and enrol into any units that are available to enrol in.
In some cases you may have the option to choose either a major/minor or electives depending on your Course Structure. As you can see here, this student can choose either the Minor option or four Electives.
To add a Minor to your Study Plan
- Click ‘Choose’ from the right-hand side.
- Using the drop-down menu bar. Click Minors from the options and then Search.
- The next page will load the minor options available for your course. You can add your minor to your study plan by clicking 'Add to Study Planner' from the right-hand side.
- On the next page, click ‘Save Changes on Study Planner’.
- Return to your Study Plan to enrol in unit/s, if part of your ‘Course Progression’.
How to Change your Major/Minor options when you have already passed some units
If you have already completed some units in your Major or Minor selection, but you would now like to change, this will need to be evaluated by our Client Services Team. Please reach out to us for guidance and advice.
This video is prepared by Client Services, within Student Administration Services at Southern Cross University.
If you require any assistance after watching this video please feel free to contact us, the Client Services Team.
How do I enrol into units?
Adding a major or electives
- Within My Enrolment go to Study Plans
- Select the course with a status of the Admitted
- Add your Major or Electives to your Study Plan
Note: not all courses require a Major/Elective to be added to your study plan. Please ensure you check your Course Progression
- To view the Major/Electives available in your study plan click Choose
- To add a Major/Elective to your potential enrolment list choose Add to Study Planner
- If you are happy with your choice select Save Changes on Study Planner
Enrolling into units
- After consulting your Course Progression, find the unit/s you wish to enrol into on your Study Plan
- Select your desired availability combination for each unit and tick the checkbox on the right-hand side
- Click Enrol at the bottom of the page
- Before clicking Confirm your enrolment ensure you understand the warnings shown
- Once you confirm you will be shown a confirmation page. Each of your successfully enrolled units will be shown with a green tick
If you are unable to self-enrol, see Unit Approval Requests.
Check your Enrolment and Census Date
- Go to Current Enrolment on the left-hand side menu. You will find your Census Date for all enrolled units in all teaching periods.
What’s the weekly study time you need to allow when enrolling in your units?
Maximum 2 units per term.
20–25 hours per unit, maximum total study time is 50 hours per week.