FAQs: Costs, fees and finances

Unit costs are different depending on what category of student you are. For more details see tuition fees and charges.

HECS-HELP is a loan program where eligible Commonwealth supported students receive a financial subsidy from the Australian Government.

For eligible students, the Australian Government contributes an amount to the cost of study in the form of a loan.

The loan is repaid when income reaches the compulsory repayment threshold. For more information, see the see the Australian Government's Study Assist website.

Commonwealth supported places are substantially subsidised by the Australian Government so that the students only pay the student contribution amounts for their units of study. Commonwealth supported places are available at all public universities, including Southern Cross University.

For more information, see the Australian Government's Commonwealth supported places page.

To be eligible for HECS-HELP you must be an Australian citizen or on a Humanitarian Visa with a valid tax file number. Other eligibility requirements apply; see the Australian Government's Study Assist website.

Austudy and Abstudy are forms of financial assistance for full-time students from the Australian Government. You will need to contact Centrelink to determine your eligibility.

See the Australian Government's Department of Human Services students and trainees page for eligibility information.

You can find some information about study requirement and textbooks using SCU’s Unit Search Tool.

You can also look up and order your textbooks from The School Locker.

Note: Textbook requirements will be confirmed in the Unit Outline on the Unit Learning Site. This is normally available 2 weeks prior to the commencement of each study session. Purchasing textbooks too early may result in disappointment as details may change prior to the week before session starts.


The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is an annual fee charged for student and non-academic services.